Monday, August 18, 2008

Wilmington is a city steeped in history.

Lots of neat stuff here, but certainly not enough to keep me here. I had a good day of chilling with a long-time World of Warcraft buddy and seeing some of the sights. We bummed around downtown (I finally found the requisite hippy/hobo tibetan prayer flags), checked out the Cape Fear Museum of History and Science (pics forthcoming, check my photostream later), the Serpentarium (which is exactly what it sounds like, again, photos uploading to Flickr as I type this), and then went across the river to the Battleship North Carolina, a huge decommissioned battleship. Very neat stuff all around. After all that, we grabbed dinner at a japanese hibachi-style steakhouse, where I got a buttload of veggies and rice...not the most exciting, but certainly filling and more than a lot of steakhouses have. Lunch was a Tempeh Philly "cheesesteak" at a place downtown. They didn't have vegan cheese, so I just left that off, but it was pretty darn good regardless.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to Savannah GA. my goal is to find a roadside stand selling peaches and eat one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful having you in Fort Mill (not quite Charlotte!) with us. I'm glad you made it through all the rain, although with Tropical Storm Fay hanging around, you might be in for some more.

Savannah is a lovely city. We loved Tybee Island and just walking through the old part of the city with all the moss on the trees and the beautiful squares. I remember an incredible old cemetery there, as well. I hope you can take some time to enjoy it and that the weather is good!

Thanks again for the visit. Stop by any time!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone mentioned the hurricane! Tis the season. I hope it's peach season for you. Nothing like a fresh peach with juice dripping down your arm...mmmm makes me want to bake a pie!!!

Thanks for the tater explanation. I think I would like to try those sometime.

Keep up the great blogging!

Anonymous said...

I thought at first that you got to go to a museum about science history, and I was so jealous of you. Then I realized the museum was probably just about science and normal, run of the mill history. Fun anyway though.