Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lafayette IN

Hanging out at a place called Local Mountain Coffee Cafe, which gave me 2 free hours of wireless for the mere cost of a soy latte. Hooray.

I had a great time hanging out with M and D in Chicago, I ended up spending two nights there on their futon (which was previously mine!) We did some El and bus exploring the first day, and then some of their friends came over and took us out bowling that night.

Second day was a thorough exploration of Chinatown. We ate at a place called Evergreen, which was on some street that started with a W. It focused on Cantonese and Szechuan cuisine, and the waitress seemed to know what "vegan" meant, so I was happy. I had a spicy tofu and veggie dish that was damned tasty.

My next planned stop is Ohiopyle, PA, home of the Ohiopyle state park. I'll be meeting some PPKers there and going to the Frank Lloyd Wright Fallingwater thing. I'll probably spend about 5 or 6 days there, since the camping is relatively cheap, and I'm a bit ahead of schedule.

At this point, I need to make a decision on what to do once the mini-gathering in PA is over. My original plan was to head towards Connecticut, visit my friend L, and we'd go up to Amherst MA to do a tour of the UMass campus there. I'm a bit hesitant to do that though, primarily because I really really really want to just go back to Portland, and I feel like I'd maybe just be wasting gas (money) by going out there and back.

I'm also partially considering it because settling down somewhere (Portland) would be a bit of return to normalcy, which I'm missing quite a bit right now. Living on the road is harder that I thought it would be, though not really from a "meeting physical needs" aspect, as the getting from place to place, and feeding myself issues haven't been a problem so far, but more in the "feeling of stability in life" aspect. I initially thought it would take me longer to get to this point to be perfectly honest, and I'm a little disappointed in myself. I'm going to give it a while longer though, to see if I can get more used to it. It's not like I'm panicking every day because I don't have a place in mind to stay each night, but it just feels unsettling to not really know where you're going to end up at the end of each day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We loved reading the long, newsy blog entry! Thanks! We've been feeling a little lost, not really sure where you were ultimately heading, so it's nice to have a bit of an itinerary. Or at least as much of an itinerary as you have in your head right now!

When you let your apartment in Iowa go, how long did you plan to travel? Are you looking at places in the East to go to school? Or are you not really thinking about school right now? Just trying to catch up!

I have a couple thoughts on response to life on the road. One is that it IS disconcerting. Long ago, before my hair turned gray, I spent a year in England and spent a month trooping around Europe. No money. No idea where I was really heading. It was disconcerting as hell and I wouldn't trade it for any other college experience (except meeting Uncle Kevin -- she said politically!). So just keep in mind that the uncertainty is part of the adventure. Portland's not going anywhere. It'll be there when you're done with the East.

My other thought is that you ARE in the same time zone as your beloved aunt and uncle, and if you want to turn your nose south, we'll gladly put you up and feed you vegan food and be something a little familiar.

Okay, I took up enough of your blog 'o sphere! We love you and hope you keep safe and well-fed and inspired by life!

Aunt Jean and Uncle Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,

If you're ever up around western Canada you could come visit Robin and I, we have tons of room. Robin left you a message on the guild website if you get a chance to check it out.

Cheers,

Jeff and Robin

B.A.D. said...

Jeff for what it is worth you always have a place to stay with us. Anytime, any local, any reason. Not knowing exactly what lies ahead can be scary even when it doesn't have to be and everything works out the best the unknown can still be unsettling.

Just keep in mind how many people you have all around who really care about you. You are too awesome to turn out bad, try and keep your chin up and enjoy the ride.

much loves
b.a.d.