Sunday, August 31, 2008

The land of soymilk and agave nectar

Well, I'm here. which means my travels are over, at least for a while. I now find myself faced with the daunting task of finding a place to live and some kind of job to help pay the bills while I spend my free time eating delicious vegan food and completing phd program applications.

It seems to be pretty standard here to live with roommates, and it certainly seems like it would be both cheaper, and more socializing to do so. However, I've only lived with roommates for one year ever, and that was an experience I'm not really super keen to repeat. I'm quite a solitary person and I don't think I'd like sharing space with people. I don't even have people over hardly ever. My last apartment I was at, where I lived for two years, only saw not-me people come over maybe three or four times ever (those of you who were there, you can feel blessed).

So with that in mind, I've begun putting out feelers to set up showings for a number of decent-looking (and reasonably affordable) one-bedroom apartments in the SE Hawthorne neighborhood. I've also sent out a few emails to some random people looking for roommates, on the off-chance that I can find some people as cool as KT's roommates.

I feel that a job can wait until after I've already found a place to live, though I'm hoping that apartment applications won't look too harshly on "self-employed" as my source of income.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with finding an awesome roommate. They are hard to come by, but your chances should be better in Portland.