Friday, December 5, 2008

Books books books

Reviewing books on Goodreads got me thinking about reading, and how I haven't read casually in quite some time. The last book I'd read was Slaughterhouse 5, and I only read that because I was traveling to Minnesota last month, and books are the best thing for an airplane. But I was thinking about books I enjoyed and that I should read more, so I did. I started in on Douglas Adam's Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the Ultimate compendium, with all 5 books in one), which I got from my aunt and uncle one christmas a number of years ago (and have read 2 or 3 times since). Not only that, but the next day I was reading about how a book called World War Z is going to be made into a movie, and I realized that I own the book but have never read it, so I started in on that too. Well I got pretty absorbed in WWZ, and finished it about half an hour ago. It's basically a history book from the future, after a zombie plague sweeps the world, in the format of interviews with survivors. Very interesting, and quite moving at times, despite being a work of fiction. I decided to keep Hitchhiker as a sort of "bed-time" book, to read a chapter or two of every night before I go to bed, but maybe I'll read more now that I've already devoured WWZ.

2 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

You freaking owned it and hadn't read it!?! Oh Jeff. I'm glad you have! Next up, the month of LOST. : )

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Jeff! We own LOTS of books we've never read. We see it a sign of hope for the future. I'm glad you're reading and working and finding free stuff. What a good life!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas -- it's odd the first couple times you're away from home, but it's also interesting to find ways to celebrate that are your own.

Mike is home and my sister arrived on Christmas Eve. We've been eating and talking and drinking wine and eating and talking. It's great fun. Sue is here until Monday, and then I have to go back to work, but for now I'm enjoying a little time off and a lot of family.

Happy 2009! We love you!

Aunt Jean and Uncle Kevin